Lincoln, Cooking in a Hotel, and The Universe.
Hey guys. Finals week is finally over, and I’ve had a lot to procrastinate on this week. I mean, really, who needs to study or write papers when there’s new and exciting websites to explore? Oh, and nothing Swine Flu related, I’m over that.
They’re pretty much all stumbleupon this week. Here’s what’s new:
1. CREEPY: Interesting Lincoln Facts. Call me a nerd, I really don’t care, but read some of these and you’ll understand why I have a favorite president. Did you know that he predicted his own death? Yeah, that’s what I thought.
2. USEFUL: How to Cook in a Hotel Room has tips for cooking with limited tools and space, using things like coffee pots. Seriously, whoever tested these out is a genius. I don’t spend that much time in hotels, but these are definitely dorm room adaptable.
3. PICTURES: Pictures that SHOULD be Photoshopped, but aren’t is exactly what it sounds like. These are pictures that if someone showed you, you’d be all, “No way man.” But no, seriously. Not photoshopped. If you’re one of those people that changes your computer desktop a lot, you’ll want this one.
4. USEFUL: Knowem is a handy little site that checks 120 popular websites to see if the name you use is available. We all have that one name we use for everything, and this makes it easy to see what is still available to you. Claim them all before someone else does!
5. MINDBOGGLING. A brain cell is the same as the universe. Interestingly enough, the structure of each individual brain cell is identical to that of the entire universe. Inside your brain, there could be a million little universes floating around. Feeling insignificant yet?
6. TIME WASTER: Hamlet as a Facebook Feed and Homer as Twitter updates go more or less hand in hand, but both are entertaining. Yeah, I’m an English major, so I guess it’s a bit more entertaining to me, but seriously. Classic literature + social networking = a good time.
7. USEFUL: THE BEST online converter tool that I’ve ever found. Put in one unit and it converts it into every other unit possible. Everything from distance to Morse Code is represented, and you can convert from inches to lightyears in one click.
8. CREEPY/MINDBLOWING: Please don’t try this at home but this guy totally figured out how to steal someone’s identity with only a very basic knowledge of the person. I’m posting this more as a cautionary tale then as a help guide. If you DO steal an identity, please don’t get traced back to me =/
9. TIME WASTER: Miss old Nick? I know you do. This site has full listing of Rocko’s Modern Life, Hey Arnold and plenty of others. Pretty decent quality and listed by seasons. Your inner child will love you.
10. USELESS: Unnecessary Knowledge gives a new pointless, yet fascinating factoid every time you refresh. The repeat after a while, but there’s a LOT of them.
11. TIME WASTER: Texts From Last Night is inappropriate for young audiences, but will definitely make you feel better about your night out. Fun stories about painfully humiliating experiences, very similar to FMyLife.
12. INFORMATIVE: Images That Change the World is a list of images that catch the best and worst of humanity. Each of them is breathtaking in their own way, and many have heartbreaking stories to go with them. Not for the squeemish.
It’s weird to end on a random number, but I’m feeling twelve tonight. As always, if you catch it before me, pass it on